"So how should our tiny startup advertise to win?"
"How do the veterans of new enterprises communicate to their potential customers?"
Great questions, frequently asked.
Who is in-the-know, an expert, able to answer those question?
TIPS FOR STARTUPS
- Earned media is about word of mouth.
- Paid media is about advertising.
- Startups never advertise (those that try quickly run out of cash).
- Word of mouth wins - over paid media - in spreading the word about your great product/service.
- Earned means compelling. That means your idea is so cool, so compelling to your Ideal Customers that they eagerly pass the word to friends about what makes it so great.
- Earned means lots of creative, hard work, finding out what is compelling. That is central to winning or losing.
- Earned means emotional excitement. Boring is death for startup products.
- Earned is more than sudden, in-your-face, crass, bathroom provocative language, graphics and video that quickly fail to stimulate and die out. Instead, earned has staying power, is welcome in vast audiences, has value and meaning to your Ideal Customer.
BOTTOM LINE: Serial entrepreneurs work very hard to create a product/service that their targeted customers get excited about purchasing. That's very hard to do. That's what got them to become successively successful. It has become part of their unfair advantage. You can learn what they learned. Focus on what you have - or have to create - that gets your targeted customer to rave about your first product/service. Then you'll be well on your way to building your unfair advantage.
I wish you The Best on your Adventure!