"What do I have to know to build an amazing brand for my startup?"
That's a great question from an entrepreneur with a cool idea who wants it to become a game-changer.
If she knows how to create The Startup Marketing Chain, she can use it to establish a great brand.
She will use it to pull her cool idea up the huge new market mountain she must climb. If she succeeds, the product will become the brand that is the Gorilla of the new market. Like Facebook, Twitter and Google.
The Startup Marketing Chain
Here are its links and instructions on assembling one for your new enterprise:
- The End = The Brand. This is where you are going to end up, it's the last link in the chain. We'll return to it as you read about how to build your Marketing Chain.
- The Beginning = The WOW! This is THE STARTING POINT. You must figure out what is the ONE thing that gets your end users so excited? So excited they immediately want your product, instantly Like it to friends, send emails to everyone, talk incessantly about it.
- The End User = The Ideal Customer. Next identify that perfect person from among the large crowd, the profile of who will most want the product you are offering. They leap when they see your WOW!
- The Name = The Implication. Next create a unique name, one that suggests the WOW of your product. Invent. Get creative.
- The Message = The Story. Then write a very short paragraph about WOW!, that something special that will get your Ideal Customer wildly excited about your product offering.
- The PR = The Buzz. Now choose the media you will use to spread your story: Twitter, Tumblr., YouTube, blog, events, and more. Let your creativity loose. Open up your mind to cleverness.
- The Launch = The Campaign. Then it's "Go!" with all systems rocketing off at the same time: product and marketing communications. Things and people. Facts and emotions.
- The Work = The Campaign. Keep pushing, stay creative. React, respond. Alter, modify. Most important: Keep telling your story! Over and over, day after day, for months and years. Don't stop!
- The Wait = The Dough Rises Slowly. How long before your product is a branded brand? 10 years. Yes, I said 10 years. A decade. That's how long it takes to establish a brand.
- The End = The Brand. Finally! You have arrived at the top of the new category mountain! Now people immediately think about one or two words when they see your logo, name of the product and its visual image. Congratulations, you have achieved the most precious marketing outcome there is.
So now return to your marketing plan. Dig into its details. Pull out its elements and start building your Marketing Chain. All the links have to be in place for you to pull your cool idea up the new market mountain.
BOTTOM LINE: Serial entrepreneurs build Marketing Chains because they are required to convert cool ideas into great brands. That's how startup veterans become Gorillas of each new space. It is central to how they build their unfair competitive advantages. They did it the first time, and so can you!
I wish you The Best on your Adventure!